Treatment for Dandruff and Other Scalp Problems in Salt Lake City
Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology Specializes in Dandruff
The team of medical experts at Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology specializes in treating patients in Salt Lake City, UT who are suffering from dandruff and other scalp problems. Dandruff is a relatively common scalp condition that causes the skin to flake, leaving a noticeable marker on your hair and clothes. To avoid the embarrassment of skin flakes all over your collar, seek help from a board-certified dermatologist. Our staff has more than three decades’ worth of experience treating dandruff as well as various other scalp problems that lead to itchiness, redness, and drying. Do not leave your condition untreated. We offer a friendly office atmosphere and a team of professionals eager to help you. Call us today to learn more.
What Are Dandruff and Other Scalp Problems?
Most people pay little attention to their scalps. They coif their hair and make it look perfect but do not give the underlying scalp a second thought. However, when your scalp is irritated or starts itching, you are sure to notice it. Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology helps treat a variety of scalp problems, including:
- Dandruff – More embarrassing than it is serious, dandruff is a scalp condition that causes flaking and itchiness. The shedding skin is apparent on dark shirts and hair, but the condition is not contagious.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis – Dandruff is a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. But in more severe cases, the condition includes redness and an oily scalp. Seborrheic dermatitis is common among those with oily skin, acne, and psoriasis.
- Cradle Cap – Typically affecting infants in their first six months, cradle cap is another form of seborrheic dermatitis. It causes greasy, yellowish crusts or scales on a child’s scalp, but usually clears up by his or her first birthday.
- Psoriasis – Though this condition can affect any part of the body, it commonly occurs on one’s scalp. It happens when the body produces too many new skin cells, which results in an itchy, sore buildup of thick, crusted scales.
What Are the Symptoms Associated with Scalp Problems?
Scalp problems are marked with a variety of symptoms, most of which include redness, itchiness, dryness, flaking, or a combination of elements. Dandruff typically does not cause redness or scabbing on the scalp, but flaking is prominent. Flakes can be evident on the scalp, hair, eyebrows, mustache or beard, shoulders, and clothes. Yellow flakes indicate oily skin, though flakes are usually white. In severe cases of seborrheic dermatitis, sufferers may notice red, greasy scales between their eyebrows as well as near their nose and ears.
What Causes Dandruff and Other Scalp Problems?
The exact cause of dandruff and other scalp problems is unclear, but the dermatologists at Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology are trained to address each of the suspected reasons. Dandruff may be the result of a fungus on the skin that feeds on oils, but it is not contagious. Common causes for scalp problems include oily skin, dry skin, sensitivity to haircare products, and other skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Our experts can address these issues to ensure your dandruff does not worsen or cause further embarrassment.
When You Should See A Doctor at Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology
It is wise to see our dermatologists in Salt Lake City, UT at the first sign of dandruff or other scalp problems. We have a wealth of experience treating scalp conditions, and early treatment bodes well for your prognosis. Some mild cases of dandruff can be treated with over-the-counter shampoo. We can help direct you to the right kind while also monitoring you for any other skin conditions that may present themselves.
How to Effectively Diagnose Dandruff
For dandruff and other scalp problems, an eye test is usually sufficient. Our dermatologists will be able to make a quick diagnosis by merely looking at your hair and scalp. Excess skin cells that have accumulated and flaked off of your scalp leave remnants all over your hair and shoulders. We will also discuss with you any other symptoms and how long you have been experiencing them. Typically, itching will occur prior to any flaking, marking your first sign of the condition.
Treating Dandruff and Other Scalp Problems in Salt Lake City
Medicated shampoos are effective treatments for dandruff and other scalp problems. The dermatologists at Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology will evaluate your condition and make suggestions regarding which style is right for your scalp. Mild cases of dandruff may only need daily cleansing with a gentle shampoo to wash away oil and skin cell buildup. But when that does not work, let us provide medicated shampoo solutions. You may need to use more than one, and it will likely be necessary to use the treatments repeatedly. When washing your hair with a medicated shampoo, be sure to let it sit for five minutes to enhance its effect. Medicated shampoos for dandruff include:
- Pyrithione zinc shampoo – Pyrithione zinc is an antifungal and antibacterial agent.
- Tar-based shampoo – Coal tar will slow the rapidity of skin cells dying and flaking off of your scalp.
- Shampoos containing salicylic acid – This ingredient helps eliminate scale.
- Selenium sulfide shampoo – This contains an antifungal agent but must be used as directed because it can cause discoloration.
- Ketoconazole shampoo – Available over-the-counter or with a prescription, it kills the dandruff-causing fungi on your scalp.
Contact Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology for Dandruff Treatment
No one wants to show up at a big business meeting or fancy date with skin flakes all over his or her clothes and hair. It is embarrassing, unsightly, and off-putting. We understand your frustration if this has happened to you. But we also recognize that it does not have to be your normal. Swinyer – Woseth Dermatology offers exceptional treatment options to restore your scalp to a healthy condition and eliminate flakes. Our dermatologists in Salt Lake City, UT have an abundance of experience and a commitment to helping patients achieve a healthy scalp. Contact us to schedule an appointment today.
What Makes Us Unique?
- Board Certified Dermatologists
- Member of the American Society for Mohs Surgery
- Skin Cancer Treatments Available
- Skin Care Products Available
- Comfortable and Professional Atmosphere
- Friendly Staff Members
- Cosmetic Services Done by Licensed Providers