It’s that time of year again, when we make resolutions in the interest of making our lives better. Many of these fall by the wayside almost immediately, but what if you chose something sustainable? Here are some New Year’s resolutions you can make to improve your skin, and here’s the bonus: they’re all doable!
- Prevent sun damage. This can’t be said enough: wear sunscreen every day! All year long, harmful UV rays from the sun can damage your skin, leading to sunspots, freckles, aging skin, and even skin cancer. Don’t just use moisturizer that contains sunscreen, but apply additional sunscreen, preferably 30 to 50 SPF. Talk to your dermatologist, who can recommend sunscreen that addresses your individual skin concerns.
- Don’t forget to moisturize. For your skin to stay bright, clear, and youthful looking, it needs plenty of hydration. Start by drinking plenty of water, and then give it a one-two punch by also applying moisturizer. Moisturize in the morning, to rehydrate your skin and help your foundation go on more smoothly, and then moisturize at night, too, to replenish the moisture you’ve lost during the day and help skin repair itself.
- Prioritize daily cleansing. Can you wash your skin too much? Of course. But while being overzealous about cleansing can be rough on your skin, a good twice daily cleansing routine is the perfect way to keep it healthy. Wash your face every morning to remove whatever came to the surface while you slept, and again at night to take off makeup and contaminants from the day. Never leave makeup on your skin when you go to bed, because this can cause breakouts and other issues.
- Stay consistent with your skincare routine all year long. This can be challenging, but don’t skip out on your skincare routine just because you’re busy or you don’t see immediate results. Consistency is a major factor in improving your skin, so choose your products wisely and stay with them all year. While it may be tempting to try new things, it’s best to find a cleanser, moisturizers, sunscreen, and other products that work for you, so that your skin reaps the benefits of the products without having to adjust to new ones.
- Visit your dermatologist. There’s nothing quite so important as that annual skin exam by your dermatologist. When you’re a regular patient, your doctor can keep up with any changes in your skin, and that means small issues can be resolved before they become something major. Most conditions, including skin cancer, are treated most effectively when they’re caught early, so don’t skip out on these crucial appointments. Of course, in between annual exams, you should consult with your dermatologist any time something about your skin doesn’t seem right, or you need advice on caring for it.
If you’re looking for a dermatologist, Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology is committed to providing superior, professional skin care in a manner that’s practical, efficient, and compassionate. With over 30 years of experience providing dermatological services in Salt Lake City, we provide a variety of services, from cosmetic skincare to treatment for skin cancer. Our team of board-certified dermatologists and licensed cosmetic service providers are here to provide you the care you need in a comfortable, professional atmosphere. Call (801) 682-4715 or contact us through our website.