Treatment for Severe Eczema
Contrary to popular belief, eczema doesn’t refer to a single skin condition, but to a group of conditions with similar physical symptoms: scaly, dry, red rashes on the surface of the skin. Also known as dermatitis, eczema affects people more severely in dry climates like ours here in Utah, so we treat eczema cases often.
The specialists at Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology treat eczema in several different ways, including the use of topical products, medications, and other therapies. If you’re suffering from eczema, you don’t have to simply learn to live with the uncomfortable, embarrassing symptoms.
Call and visit us in our Salt Lake City or South Jordan clinics and get a consultation today.
What Is Eczema?
Eczema, or dermatitis, refers to a number of conditions that cause rashes on the skin. These conditions often coincide with allergies, which lead practitioners to believe they may be related, but even today, not much is known about the specific causes.
Eczema may be caused by fungi, soaps, lotions, alcohol, detergents, dryer sheets, and shampoos, among other irritants. Eczema can also result from allergies to something that has come in contact with the skin, such as nickel, Vitamin E, latex, and aloe vera, just to name a few. Our providers are pleased to discuss therapeutic options that combine irritant avoidance, skin hydration, and topical medication.
Types of Eczema
There are several different types of eczema, including adult and infantile seborrheic dermatitis, which cause rashes on the heads and scalps of adults and infants, and asteatotic eczema, which mainly affects patients older than 60 years of age, but by far the two most common are atopic and contact dermatitis.
- Atopic eczema – Atopic eczema refers to rashes that may coincide with hay fever and asthma, usually because of a genetic predisposition. Atopic eczema is believed to be caused by a genetic autoimmune disorder, but the symptoms and skin irritation can still be treated by conventional remedies.
- Contact dermatitis – Certain substances, or irritants, cause rashes almost instantly when a person comes into contact with them. This may vary between different individuals but manifests itself in a similar way in all cases: The subject comes into contact with the irritant and experiences a rash that can last a few days or more.
Common Treatments for Eczema
There are several time-tested dermatitis treatments that have been proven to be effective in treating different types of eczema rashes. While no treatment should be viewed as a cure-all for the many symptoms and coinciding conditions that accompany the eczema group, we can prescribe, recommend, and treat symptoms according to your unique needs.
- Topical creams – There are several topical OTC medications used to control dryness, redness, itching, and other uncomfortable symptoms of eczema, for example, a hydrocortisone cream.
- Antihistamines – Drugs that limit the body’s allergic response may be effective against some types of skin rashes.
- Prescription drugs – There are several safe and effective drugs that patients of Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology have seen positive results from in the past. In all cases, we’ll assess your needs and decide whether or not these medications are right for you.
One of the most important methods of treating eczema is to not treat it at all but discover what the condition is caused by and help you avoid contact in the future. This is true of many cases of contact dermatitis; simply avoiding the irritant may be all you need to avoid eczema in the long term.
I have a fair complexion and susceptible to skin issues. Enjoy going to their office the doctors and assistants have been very kind. Would recommend this office.
I had a great experience removing my skin cancer on the front of my shoulder a week ago. They were kind, detailed, and took the time to explain the whole process. I am glad I have chosen them to assist with my dermatology needs.
Very professional and skilled! Finally able to resolve some issues I’ve had in the past that other dermatologists ignored.
Dr. Woseth has long played a critical role in my health, for which I will be forever in his debt. He is one of the nicest and most competent doctors I have ever met.
Very professional. They examined me and explained everything. I will go there for years.
I love this clinic. Every time I go I have a wonderful experience!
Service has always been prompt and professional. The level of care and followup is exceptional.
It was very professional and safe. All the protocols were followed and as usual, the care is exceptional.
Dr. Woseth is thorough, compassionate & patient! Every question answered & great follow up!
My recent appointment went great. All the staff are welcoming. I did not have to wait long. Alisa is always kind and gentle, makes me feel comfortable. I refer all my friends.
Everyone at the office is very caring. I've been a patient here for about 3-4 years and they've taken care of me so well. The treatment they provide has been life changing!
First time doing a skin check and having something removed. They were very nice and fast. It was completely painless and relaxing. Pretty sure I found my new dermatologist.