Summer is a great time of year to get outside and have some fun, but it can be hard on your skin. How can you keep it glowing all year long? Here are some helpful tips to help you tweak your routine and put your best face forward throughout the summer.
- Lighten up! You’re not wearing a heavy winter coat, so why keep the heavy winter skincare routine? Opt for a gentler cleanser as well as a lighter-weight moisturizer. In fact, you might want to switch to a combination moisturizer/sunscreen.
- Be smart about moisture. Even if your face feels sweaty and oily, there’s no excuse for skipping your moisturizer in summer. Stick to something lightweight that doesn’t clog your pores, and layer on a vitamin C serum before you moisturize. You should also avoid taking too many hot baths or showers, to prevent your skin from becoming too dry.
- Adding an exfoliation step to your usual skincare routine is a good way to keep your skin looking fresh all summer. It will help you slough away dead skill cells and remove oil and dirt that can drag down the look of your skin.
- Stay protected from the sun. You’ve heard it all before, but it can’t be overstated: protect your skin from UV rays every single day. Consider layering on the sun protection with SPF cleanser and moisturizer, plus an additional layer of mineral-based sunscreen when you’re spending time outside. Put a broad-spectrum SPF on all exposed skin, and don’t let the sun protection stop there! You should also be wearing protective clothing, sunglasses, SPF lip balm, and a broad-brimmed hat.
- Watch what you put on your face. Summer is actually the perfect time of year to ditch your makeup entirely, perhaps opting for tinted SPF moisturizer and lip balm. But if you do want to wear makeup, look closely at the labels of the products you’re using. You should only use those products that are non-comedogenic, which means they won’t clog your pores.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drinking plenty of water is important all year, but it’s especially so in the summer. Water moisturizes your skin from the inside out and can even help you recover more quickly from a sunburn.
When you are looking Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology is committed to providing superior, professional skin care in a manner that’s practical, efficient, and compassionate. With over 30 years of experience providing dermatological services in Salt Lake City, we provide a variety of services, from cosmetic skincare to treatment for skin cancer. Our team of board-certified dermatologists and licensed cosmetic service providers, along with our friendly staff, are here to provide you the care you need in a comfortable and professional atmosphere. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact us through our website or call (801) 682-4715 today.