All You Ever Wanted to Know about Hyaluronic Acid
How much do you know about hyaluronic acid? You’ve probably seen the name everywhere, touted for everything from skin care to joint pain, but what is it? Is it a miracle product? A scientific breakthrough? We’ve got the facts on hyaluronic acid and what it can do for your skin.
- Hyaluronic acid is not new, because it’s naturally produced by the human body. A sugar found naturally in our skin, connective tissues, and eyes, the hyaluronic acid in our bodies holds a thousand times its weight in water. This keeps moisture in our skin and joints and prevents it from evaporating. As we get older, out hyaluronic acid (HA) decreases, but eating fruits and vegetables with plenty of antioxidants helps the skin to retain it.
- It serves a wide variety of purposes. In fact, it’s almost unbelievable how many uses there are for HA! It can speed the healing of wounds, promote healthy skin, relieve joint pain, soothe acid reflux, preserve bone strength, prevent bladder pain, and alleviate dry eye. Because it’s a naturally occurring substance in the body, allergic reactions are very rare.
- People use hyaluronic acid in many different forms. HA can be taken in a supplement, for better digestion, healthier skin, stronger bones, and better-lubricated joints. It can also be used in topical serums for wound healing and skin care. HA eye drops help with dry eye, and injections are used for many things, from bladder pain to joint pain to cosmetic applications.
- Dermatologists especially like what it does for the skin. HA is a powerful humectant that’s very effective for keeping your skin moisturized when used as a cream or serum. It helps the skin look and feel more supple, dewy, and elastic. It’s important to find products that are formulated to be penetrate skin efficiently, so talk to your dermatologist about the right hyaluronic acid applications for you. Taking hyaluronic acid supplements and using topical HA can help put back some of what’s been lost through aging and exposure to smoke, pollution, and UV radiation. It can even help reduce wrinkles, redness, and dermatitis.
- Talk to us about hyaluronic injectables. We offer HA injectables like JUVÉDERM, Restylane, and Belotero, to add volume to the dermal layer of skin. These injections are effective in plumping sunken areas, smoothing fine lines, and decreasing shadows, and the results last for up to a year.
If you’re looking for the best care and most up-to-date cosmetic treatments, Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology is committed to providing superior, professional care that’s practical, efficient, and compassionate. With over 30 years of experience providing dermatological services in Salt Lake City, we provide a variety of services, from cosmetic skincare to treatment for skin cancer. Our team of board-certified dermatologists, licensed cosmetic service providers, and friendly staff members is here to provide you the care you need in a comfortable, professional atmosphere. For more information, contact us through our website or call (801) 682-4715 today.