The leaves are changing color and the air is getting cooler, which can only mean one thing: fall is on its way! As the season’s change, so should your skincare routine. Here are some simple swaps to make your skincare routine more fall-friendly.
Skincare Swaps to Make
- Switch from a Gel or Foam Cleanser to a Creamy Cleanser. Add hydration back into your skin after using harsh cleansing products throughout the summer.
- Drop chemical exfoliants in favor of a hyaluronic acid serum. Chemical exfoliants can be drying, and with the colder weather on its way, you’ll want to keep your skin as hydrated as possible.
- Level up to a richer moistur A heavier cream will help to lock in moisture and protect your skin from the colder, drier weather.
- Switch from drying toners to hydrating toners. Look for toners that contain hyaluronic acid or glycerin to help add hydration back into your skin.
Skincare Steps and Products to Add
In addition to switching up your existing products, you may want to consider adding some new ones to your routine:
- Start using a richer cleanser. As the weather gets cooler and drier, your skin will need more hydration. A creamy, hydrating cleanser will help to nourish your skin and keep it healthy all winter long.
- Add hydration. Hydrating additions like a moisturizing mask, lip moisturizer, and eye cream can help combat the dryness that comes with fall weather.
- Think about vitamins. Add vitamin C to your routine to help brighten dull, winter skin.
- Add humidity into the air. Don’t forget to use a humidifier! Running a humidifier in your home or office will help to add hydration back into the air, which will in turn help your skin stay hydrated.
- Don’t drop the sunscreen! Just because the sun isn’t as strong doesn’t mean you can skip the SPF. In fact, you may want to consider switching to a higher SPF for fall and winter.
- Don’t forget about your lips! The cold weather can cause your lips to become dry and chapped. Be sure to use a lip balm or ChapStick with SPF 15 or higher to protect your lips from the sun and keep them hydrated all winter long.
- Exfoliate regularly. Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells that can build up on the surface of your skin, leaving it looking dull. Regular exfoliation will help to brighten your complexion and give you a healthy glow.
So, there you have it, some simple swaps to take your skincare routine from summer to fall. By making these changes, you can help ensure that your skin stays healthy and hydrated all season long.
Establish a Skincare Routine
One of the best ways to take care of your skin is to establish a daily skin care routine. While you can certainly find many different tips and tricks for taking care of your skin, a basic daily routine is a great place to start. Here are some tips for creating a daily skin care routine:
- Start with a clean face. Always begin your skin care routine by washing your face with a gentle cleanser. This will help remove any dirt, oil, or makeup that could clog your pores and cause problems down the road.
- Apply toner. After you cleanse your face, follow up with a toner designed for your skin type. This step helps restore the pH balance of your skin and prep it for the next steps in your routine.
- Use a serum or treatment product. Depending on your specific skin concerns, you may want to use a serum or treatment product at this step. This is a great time to apply products like retinol or vitamin C serums.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. No matter what your skin type is, it’s important to moisturize morning and night. This will help keep your skin hydrated and looking its best.
- Shield with sunscreen. Sunscreen is an essential part of any skin care routine, even if you don’t plan on spending time in the sun. Look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Remove your makeup before bed. One of the worst things you can do for your skin is sleep in your makeup. Always take the time to remove your makeup before going to bed to give your skin a chance to breathe overnight.
By following these simple tips, you can transition your skincare routine from summer to fall with ease! Remember, consistency is key when it comes to taking care of your skin. Try to stick to your routine as much as possible for the best results. Contact Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology for help caring for your skin, no matter the season.